Reducing our exposure to the chemicals that make their way into our air, food and water simply makes good sense for everyone.
—Pirmin Kummer, Dipl. Ing. Agr.
Official home of Eco-Spuds™
Timber River Eco Farms is a mixed-produce farm on the New Brunswick side of the Northumberland Strait, neighbouring the beautiful Confederation Bridge to Prince Edward Island.
We work about 800 acres of land and grow potatoes, grain and forage crops and keep around 90 head of beef-cattle.
We emphasize natural pest management, plant nutrition and health, reduced — or no — use of synthetic pesticides, and protection of the natural environment.
We do not grow genetically modified potatoes and keep extensive records that are reviewed by a third-party inspector.
Eco-Spuds™ are ecologically-sound:
We do not use
- genetically-engineered potato varieties
- Systemic seed treatments
- chemical treatments in storage
We do use
- 3–4 year crop rotation, grassed headlands/waterways and buffer zones
- Liquid seaweed to enhance crop health and vigour
- whole seed potatoes
- greensprouted seed
- mechanical weeding
- trap-ditches, a beetle-vacuum, and other biological methods to control potato beetles
- mechanical potato vine chopper
- optimal ventilation and cooling in storage